Books I've Read

Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Girl Named Disaster by Nancy Farmer 12

This is my second book by Nancy Farmer. I have also read House of the Scorpion, a very smart book that was on Battle of the Books not long ago. This book seems to be very similiar in a few ways. It has a main character who is very aware of her surroundings and how she is different from others where she lives. Nhamo, the narrator, seems very resourceful and prone for self-preservation in a hostile environment.
I chose this book because I was looking for a book about Africa we might read together in class, and this one was suggested to me. I found out online that it is one of four written by this author. I can not wait to do more research and see how she knows so much about this topic.
So far I like it. It is a little hard to follow with the character names and because the culture is so different, but I already like the main character and am rooting for her to find a better way of life. Her mother died when she was three. She now lives with an aunt who is creates kind of a Cinderella-type situation. "Where have you been?" Her aunt remarks crossly as she returns from being sent out for firewood while her cousin plays with clay. Another aunt remarks, "She probably fell asleep under a tree." (11) She gets little respect and few breaks. I wonder how she is going to make her situation improve?

(And isn't the title the best?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment