Books I've Read

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz F

I am not a fan of scary stories. I am not a fan of being scared. It is not fun to me. It reminds me of when I was little and my dad would jump out from behind a snowball bush and scream as I walked by from my grandmother's in the dark...never liked that, but he always seemed to get such a charge out of it! :)

Anyway, I bought the book set at the book fair, because when I was in the media center, these books seem to fly off the shelves (only figuratively of course!). I thought it would be worth my time to check them out.

After reading the first one, I have to say that this book was not what I expected. The author simply takes create for compiling these stories and relying them to us as he found them. He does not seem to take liberties with the stories at all. He goes into explaining multiple endings or possibilities to scare your audience more. The book is organized into five sections with each section having its own organizational focus. My favorite was section two, "He Heard Footsteps Coming Up the Cellar Stairs."(3) These seem to be more historical. My dad would probably liked the first and last sections, "AAAAAAAAAAAH!" These are a collection of stories that end with the storyteller jumping at the audience and screaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment